Saturday, December 7, 2013

Story Saturday- I used my preps the other day, plus the Christmas Parade lessons

     So, living in Northern Arizona at near 4000 feet, we are used to winters that are far from the warm weather south of us in Phoenix.  However with the unusual influx of Cold Arctic air that has recently swept the US, my family has been affected as well.  On Friday Dec. 6th, I woke up and headed to the bathroom to take care of something.  When I turned on the water for my shower, nothing happened.  No water in my house worked.  My pipes had froze.  We have freezing temps but nothing usually this low.

     Thankfully I had hand sanitizer on hand to clean our hands, water storage for our food, and still had gas and power.  Water started to flow soon enough but it had our family thinking about how things would be if there was a complete shut off of services.  What would we do if our toilet couldn't flush?  How would be heat our home without gas service?  We have good candles and battery powered lights if we lose power but that was it.  I can cook on the grill or propane stove but do I want to do that in 17 degree temps?  Do I want to risk killing my family by bringing that stove into my house?

     On Saturday morning, I sadly had to go to work, where I am writing this post.  On my way I saw our small rural community preparing for the annual Christmas parade.  I told my wife about it and, despite her dislike of parades, she took our little one out to watch.  My wonderful Hobbit of a wife told me that it was quite festive, running down main street, with holiday and patriotic themes.  However, we were shown another week point in our abilities.  Our child does not have proper winter clothing.  We have enough to bundle our little one up to run to and from the car, but not enough to stay outside for prolonged periods of time.

     I enjoyed my impromptu test, as it brought to light some problems with my house, my preps and my family.  I hope that all is well with you this winter season.

No comments:

Post a Comment