Thursday, December 12, 2013

Every Day Carry For the Gentleman, Practical, Tactical, and Everything In Between Part 1

In the preparedness community there is a fetish for everything militaristic and tacti-cool, which has led to many sporting military style ruck and haversacks bursting with all sorts of gear. While I do enjoy looking at, fondling and playing with all manner of mil-spec, surplus, and mil-style tools and toys, I do believe that there is a time and place for everything. As a proper gentleman, you should look sharp, and stand out in a positive manner, as opposed to looking like the odd man out.  

Every day carry (EDC) is a mentality embraced by the preparedness community that states that the tools that you carry with you  every day is your EDC. If you don't have it on you everyday then it isn't EDC.  There are a number of things that compose different people's EDC, some to the extreme of ridiculousness in my mind. I knew someone who used a blanket as a jacket in case they were somewhere and wanted to take a nap, but by doing this she couldn't use both hands at the same time. Like ever. Others keep gas masks in their bags in case there is a gas terror attack on their place of work. A person's EDC is a personal choice, based on individual daily needs and routines. if you're looking to put a useful EDC together, here are a handful of things that I feel should be part of any lady or gentleman's EDC. 

1. A pen. I know many of you are thinking, 'say what?' complete with classic sassy tone. The number one question I get asked at work is 'Do you have a pen?' With the forms that I had to fill out daily as a police officer, and now in my current work place, a pen is the tool I used the most. The reason that I get asked is because nobody carries their own anymore! I keep at least two on me, one that I can lend out and don't care if they forget about returning it to me. Usually it's a free pen that some company, someplace, gave away as swag. The second pen is only for me, usually a nicer, better quality one. I also carry a mechanical pencil out of habit from being an officer. 

2. A proper pocket knife. I use mine just about everyday, whether to do some whittling, cut cordage, or pick gunk out from under my fingernails. I also said “proper” meaning, in my mind, to be made of a good steel that can sharpen easily, stay sharp with simple use, and isn't dull.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I came across somebody who had a knife, but it was too dull to use safely. If you are going to carry a knife, at least make sure it is useful. 

3. A pocket flashlight. For $15-$40, you can find a flashlight smaller that a highlighter marker, that is wonderfully bright for many of the simple tasks that you might need it for. I have helped others find dropped keys, found my own dropped keys, hooked up jumper cables, found light switches in unusual locations, and changed the batteries in my other flashlight. I carry mine in my back pocket and never leave home without it. I use good rechargeable batteries in mine, change them weekly, and never have to worry about it going dead. In my shoulder bag I carry extra AAA batteries just in case. (Be prepared) 

4. A handkerchief or two. I have allergies, and get sick on a regular basis, and have found that a good cotton handkerchief has been wonderful to have on hand. I carry one in each one of my back pockets, one for me, and one to lend out, usually to my wife.  I always keep the used one in the same pocket, no matter what I am wearing. The unused handkerchief is also available for first aid, if needed. 

5. A belt. A belt can be used to keep your pants up, something many younger people need to learn to do properly.  It can also be used for first aid, a short rope, to keep things together, and a lot of other things. It is also a handy way to carry things, via holsters and pouches. I have learned that a properly dressed gentleman is never without a belt. 

6. A Multi-tool. I love a good multi-tool: having a tool box in your pocket. Ask anyone that carries one and they will share with you all manner of stories about how they have used it. I have even seen a gentleman use one to hold a door open. My usual model has a small pair of scissors that I use often, as well as an interchangeable screwdriver.  I will discuss models in the next post.

7. A CPR mask + Nitrile Gloves. I have seen people carry large first aid kits in backpacks to everyplace they go, only to mostly use adhesive bandages and triple antibiotic ointment. Please understand that I am not negating the benefits of having a proper first aid kit nearby. However the most common life threatening event most will encounter is a heart attack. On my key chain I carry a pocket sized CPR mask. In this day and age, I don't want to get any sort of transmittable germ from some stranger I locked lips with while saving their life. The gloves are for first aid purposes, also to protect me from unseen unknowns.

8. Duct Tape. The handyman's secret weapon.  I carry a few yards wrapped around an old credit card (which is another trinket that has proved quite useful in many of my adventures.).

9. A Cell Phone. 'Nuff Said. Do your best to keep it charged, and have a secondary method to charge it. Mine is a car charger. 

10.  A Concealed Firearm and Permit. Take good training courses to go with it, too. All good gunfighters have a balance of training, a reliable gun, and proper ammo. I won't go into brands or types of guns for you today. There have been hundreds of others fighting that fight and I don't want to involve myself in that today. Any gun made by a big name manufacturer is more than enough. Some guns turn out to be lemons but that is rare, and if made by a major manufacturer it should come with a good warranty to take care of any problems you may come across. Extra magazines should be manufacturers original production.

Stay tuned, in Part 2 I will discuss the other things that I have in my EDC and how I carry it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment